Saturday, July 4, 2009

Delivering babies

Today i finally got the hang of delivering a baby and a placenta.
Delivered baby(assisted)-2
Delivered placenta- 4

I am so happy...even though many staff nurses said many things about me being an idiot for not knowing where certain things are place.. or how dumb am i to only examine 4 things from the placenta. What really made my day was when the staff nurse actually apologized to me.. apparently she raised her voice at me.. but honestly speaking.. i thought i deserved it as i was such an idiot... it was really, really nice of her.. it really makes me look forward to housemanship even though everyone is dreading it.. as long as you maintain your thick skin.. and never be afraid to ask the nurses no matter how much they patronize you by saying ' you are the doctor' im just the lowly nurse. we are in a different league. you should know what to do. Aih. But it is nurses like Staff nurse Z who will make me forget everything bad and remember all the good things

I know I will still have a lot to learn clinically especially from the nurses. I respect them as honestly speaking, they are the ones who really, REALLY care about sterility. Not the house officer or medical officer that i know, whom have studied thoroughly regarding nosocomial infections and how hard can it be to treat. In this case then, why the staff nurses are more concerned than the actually training/ practising doctors? I guess it is your own principle that you hold on to yourself. Whether you just wanna stitch up the wound and sleep, or you want to make sure that the patient is comfortable, maintain sterility.. and make sure you do less harm.

I know i'll probably regret this in 3 years time. but now i can't wait to become a house officer. getting scolded and learning. and making friends with all who have scolded me. I don't mind the amount of scolding as long as I learn. I'm a thick skinned person. At times, like this, it reminds me of my band instructor during secondary school. He can scold anyone, anybody relentlessly till you drop down your knees and cry. but i held my head high and took all his criticism. I am glad that i had undergone that prior training.

Anyway im gonna go pass out now

No comments: