Saturday, June 19, 2010

Marriage

Lots of my colleagues, friends has been discussing this topic non-stop lately. It's like the only thing we ever actually talked about apart from how little time we have left to study for our finals. It is becoming the hottest topic second to the world cup of course.

Being in medical school and graduating as a doctor seem to be perceived by many that you will not have time to do any other things, let alone be in a relationship. Now, being in the final year, a lot of my colleagues seem to be planning their life around searching a life partner and wanting to settle down. Even though their still single. (o.o isn't it a plan that you are supposed to make with your partner??, how can you plan without having a bf/gf yet??).

I know, the perfect plan will be, get a bf/gf now, be in a relationship for the next 5 years (I am 24 now by the way), then get married, then have a baby right before the age of 30.

I felt that this is a very extremely unfair rule to women. I don't blame my friends for wanting to plan ahead, and to have a baby before 30. That would be an ideal plan if you want to have a healthy pregnancy, healthy baby and a smooth labor.

But what about love? What if, when you are 29, you are with a guy that you weren't sure if you want to spend the rest of your life with him? What if, you are with a guy who doesn't want to be committed? Or with a guy who marries you because he felt that it's the right time due to the age factor?

What about our dreams? Things we want to pursue in our carrier? Sigh.

I just hope that, in the future, if I ever do get married, it has to be for the right reason. And not because I am 29.9 years old.

Oh and I would like to congratulate those couples who have already made plans to tie the knot. :D. Be grateful and always appreciate what you have.

p/s: I am still single and happy :D

No comments: